Listed below are the top 10 most believed myths as compiled by http://www.MedicalCannabis.com:
1. There are hundreds of compounds/chemicals in marijuana-There are approximately 400, compared to a tomato that has roughly 330.
2. It is stronger today which makes it more dangerous- The marijuana has not become stronger.
3. As a plant the dosage cannot be controlled- Prior to the marijuana prohibition when pharmaceutical companies created extracts and tinctures of cannabis, they were able to provide fairly uniform preparations.
4. Smoking marijuana is what makes it dangerous- Higher potency of marijuana will also allow patients to smoke less to achieve a therapeutic dose without the risk of overdose.
5. Marijuana Destroys the immune system- There is no conclusive evidence that demonstrates harm to the immune system when used in therapeutic doses for humans.
6. It is highly addictive- Compared to other commonly used psychoactive drugs, marijuana is not highly addictive and has a low abuse potential.
7. Marijuana is a gateway drug-The 1999 report by the Institute of Medicine finds that, “There is no evidence that marijuana serves as a stepping stone on the basis of its particular drug effect.”
8. Use during pregnancy can cause damage to the fetus- Studies by Melanie Dreher, PhD, RN conducted in Jamaica and Dr. Peter Fried in Canada show minimal effects on the fetus during pregnancy.
9. A marijuana pill is available and completely legal- MarinolÒ is a synthetic form of THC, the pure psychoactive chemical in marijuana.
10. Medical use send the message to teens that it is not dangerous and encourages usage- Reports from teens have indicated that it is easier for them to obtain illegal marijuana than it is to obtain regulated alcohol or prescription drug.